Skip to main content

Training and Nutrition Update

✴Happy New Year! ✴

This has been one heck of a year, full of lots of ups... and lots of downs. I'm not going to say I'm excited for the new year and all that, because what I've come to learn is that you just never know what can happen in life, or what God has planned for you. You can hope and plan for the best, but God always knows better,so all you can really do is choose to make the best of whatever circumstance you find yourself in and just trust Him. I know His plans are for my ultimate good, even when it doesn't feel like it in the moment. My plan for the new year is just to keep on trusting.

I don't have any resolutions or goals for the New Year. I know, shocking, right? There's nothing wrong with that if it's your thing, but I feel like anytime I want to improve or change things in my life, I do it right then and there. I don't need a new year or a "fresh start". To me, every day is a fresh start.

Anyways, today I thought I would share with you all what my nutrition will be looking like since I do want to put on some weight(what's new, I know...). I have been slowly upping my carbs the last couple years, but my weight has pretty much stayed the same. I've never gone super high with my carbs, since I like my fatty foods so much and am not going to cut my fats to like 50 grams like so many fitness people do. I gots to have my peanut butter, sorry!

So I'm just going to keep my fats the same and keep on upping the carbs to hopefully put on a few pounds. Consistency with eating the same amount every day is my problem, especially lately, so if I can get better with that, I'll be set!

Here's what my workout days will look like for a high carb day:

Meal 1-
1 cup oats, 1 spoon pb, 1 banana, 1 scoop whey protein
Meal 2-
1 scoop whey protein with almond milk, 60 grams carbs via smoothie, cereal, or bagel.
Meal 3-
2 eggs + egg whites, sprinkle of low fat cheese, 8 oz roasted potatoes with ketchup
Meal 4-
3 oz lean meat and an apple or pear(or any fruit), 2 rice cakes
Meal 5-
1 cup rice or pasta, 2 spoons salsa, 3 oz ground turkey(mix of 93 and 97%)
Meal 6-
1/2 cup cottage cheese or a Triple Zero yogurt, 2 spoons of pb, 2 rice cakes

Here is what I plan on my workouts looking like, but I'm sure it's subject to change, as always:
UPPER HOME WORKOUT
UPPER GYM WORKOUT
1a)HSPUs- 4x amap
1b)Pullups-4xamap
2a) DB row-3x12
2b)Pushups-3xamap
3)Lateral raises 3x12-15
4) Glute burnout+abs

1)Bench press 3x5/4x4/3x3/3x1
2)Push press 3x4-6
3)Tbar row 3x8
4)1 arm cable row 3x10
5)Farmer’s walks  or suitcase carries + pullaparts

LOWER HOME WORKOUT
LOWER GYM WORKOUT
1)Single leg squat or reverse lunge 
3x12-15
2)Single leg RDL or split stance RDL 3x12-15
3a)Dumbbell 1 ½ squat 3x10-15
3b)Foam roller leg curls 3x12
4a)Single leg hip thrust 3x12-15
4b)Band walks
5)Ab wheel

1)BSS  4x6-8
2)RDL 3x6-8
3)Pause squat 3x8-10
4a)Back extension or reverse hyper 4x10-12
4b)Band walks or clams 2x20-25
5)Feet elevated glute bridge  2x30
6)Walking lunges x150

Matt is still not doing great and needs pretty much 24/7 care, so I've been winging my workouts the last few weeks and just pretty much working out whenever I have the time, like in between clients at work. I don't have any specific training goals right now because of that-I really just want to be healthy and to stay sane! Working out is my therapy, without a doubt. I feel a huge difference in my mood and my stress levels when I don't workout, so I gotta make it happen...but it's not the most important thing in my life right now. And that's okay! Sometimes fitness gets put on the backburner, and there is nothing wrong with that. 
Since it's the new year, and the temptation to go on some fad diet or "cleanse" or whatnot may be strong, I thought I'd share a few articles for you to check out before you succumb!
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/things-to-focus-on-instead-of-weight-loss-or-dieting_us_5a46c219e4b0df0de8b06a32
https://www.niashanks.com/break-free-ugly-side-health-fitness/
http://www.healthybalancefitness.com.au/2015/12/things-you-should-quit/

Do you set goals or make resolutions for the new year? What are your workouts and/or your nutrition looking like lately? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm